Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Claw Foot Coffee Table Makover

I loved the shape of this coffee table when I saw it but the finish was a dated yellow oak. I love the gray wash finish I did on my dining room table years ago and thought it would look perfect on this little table.

I originally planned on doing a distressed gray with white dry brushing on the base but once I had a section done, it was to gray. The base was blending in with the top and the that's not what I wanted. I wanted the beautiful top to stand out! I had to go over the whole base again with a bright white.



What the before looked like.





 After sanding the top down, I stained the top in a medium brown. I believe it's Minwax "Special Walnut." I just primed the base after giving it a good cleaning with TSP.

  

Once the stain had dried, I watered down a dark gray paint and started layering coat after coat to get this amazing gray wash finish! I think it was about 4-6 coats of the gray wash. You can see what it looks like with one layer in the top photo.


My original idea was to paint the base gray and dry brush the gray with white. As you can see in the image below the gray base was washing out the beautiful top. A crisp white base made the top pop just like I wanted.















The coffee table sold a week later:)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments!

Follow Me On Instagram

amazon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...